Oceanography is the study of both the physical and biological aspects of the ocean. The ocean provides us with climate regulation, entertainment, power as well as the food that we eat. Not understanding the ocean and its future could cause dire consequences to the entire planet. To date, only 5% of the ocean has been explored, leaving 95% of it untouched. With the ocean covering 70% of our planet, and for all our reliance on this gigantic ecosystem, it seems slightly terrifying that we know close to nothing about it.
STEM in Oceanography
STEM refers to the study of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics related subjects. The people working in STEM related subjects are trying to educate the rest of us about the need for more people to get involved. The Marine National Facility at CSIRO, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, has started bringing teachers on board boats and vessels, in order to teach them about our oceans. Their blue water research vessel, Instigator, is inviting educators to come on board their “Floating Classrooms” and take part in labs and training activities. This program hopes to change the way education is imparted, as well as increase the knowledge that Australians have of our oceans, for years to come.
That is just one example of how the pertinent subject of Oceanography is creeping into our classrooms. Many other people working in STEM related careers are trying to learn all they can about our oceans, in order to share their knowledge with us. Another example is the Southern Ocean ecosystem scientist who was recently named “Superstar of STEM” by Science and Technology Australia (STA).
STEMmates and Oceanography
STEMmates hopes to be another example of people and organisations fighting for our oceans. Our Oceanography course is aimed at children from 10 to 15 years old and emphasises the influence of Engineering, Technology and Science on society and the natural world. To do this, our courses employ demonstrations, hand-on activities as well as a research and presentation project. Find out how your child can be part of the solution to save our oceans, by first understanding them, from our Facebook and website pages.